When the husband chose this recipe for dinner, I have to admit I was a little nervous. Stuffed bell peppers? I haven't eaten them in 10 years, but I'm still apprehensive. However, I do like bell peppers now (love them!) and liked the idea of another well balanced (veggie, whole grain, meat) main course.
We really enjoyed these! We'll definitely make them again in the future.
Here's the rundown:
*Time: 1 hr 15 minutes total (15 mins prep)
*can be prepared ahead of time or in the crock pot
*includes whole grains and veggies (bulgur, spinach, bell peppers)
*reheats pretty well
*long bake time
*(probably not) kid friendly
- filling is slightly bland. I tried another batch with added garlic and garlic powder and it was much better
- I made half in the oven and half in the crock pot (low for 4 hours)--both methods worked!
- The crock pot version was a little watery
- The oven version tasted better to me, but the husband liked how soft the bell pepper was in the crock pot version.
- This recipe makes a ton! (We used an extra bell pepper and still had leftover filling!)
- I froze some of the filling to see how that works.
Saturated Fat: 2.5g